Skip to main content

Stepping Outside of My Comfort Zone

As many of you know, I am a big fan of right angles.  


Windows no. 34



My Windows Series consisted of small squares carved into square panels and my Tesserae paintings were created with many square-shaped encaustic tiles. 


Tesserae II
Moving Day

I designed custom wood panel frames to house my mini encaustic and fiber cubes.



detail, Spaces We Inhabit




My mixed media cubes grew and were hung in columns from the ceiling.


Perhaps my cube obsession culminated into the installation Infinite Possibilities.  Each one of these unique cubes is installed in a grid formation on the wall, hopefully by someone OTHER than me!

Infinite Possibilities

 In fact, you can find the square shape in many of my vessels and woven encaustic and fiber 3-dimensional works!
Vessel 6



So when the opportunity arose to participate in an art exhibition that was titled The Dot Show I jumped at it!
Dots!  
They are not in any way, shape or form square!  
The lack of right angles in dots make this theme definitely out of my comfort zone! 

Not only will I create an art installation that focuses on this theme, I will work in collaboration with artist Amy Van Winkle.  Amy and I are both members of FUSEDChicago; Midwest artists who work with the encaustic medium.  We will share an exhibition window in Chicago's Pilsen neighborhood.  With a total of 7 windows, these showPODS, run by the Chicago Arts District, offer 
 an instant art experience 24/7.

Each one of these encaustic and fiber dots is only 1" in diameter and will be installed on the exhibition wall.  My initial plan of making 200 of these little guys has grown to a lofty design plan exceeding 500!  We shall see!



The Dot Show
May 13th through June 23rd, 2016 - the showPODs are along the 1800 blk of South Halsted St. in Chicago’s Pilsen neighborhood.

The opening reception is during the Chicago Art District's 2nd Friday Gallery Night on Friday May 13, 2016 from 6-10pm in showPOD7. I hope to see you there! 





Comments