Skip to main content

Fall Exhibition News




I love Fall. I love the cooler temperatures and I love the changing colors & falling leaves and I really love the annual tradition of switching out my summer clothes for my winter clothes. The sight of a favorite comfy sweater almost makes me yearn for chilly Chicago winter days…almost. Not only does the weather change but the city changes. The beaches close, school resumes and in general, the number of visitors is vastly reduced. Now I love living in the city, but the sheer number of tourists that visit every summer can be overwhelming at times. There is a small pocket of time between summer and holiday shopping season where downtown Chicago feels more intimate. The sidewalks are just a little easier to navigate and the restaurants in our neighborhood are actually filled with neighbors. I am particularly happy to welcome Fall this year with a number of exciting exhibitions!


Tactile Encounters: The Influence and Appearance of Textures
I am pleased to have five 3D encaustic and fiber pieces in this show at the Kemper Gallery at the Illinois Institute of Technology in Chicago. Artwork in this show exemplifies how meaning and depth, real or perceived, is brought to a work through the use of textures and layers. This show runs from October 1st through November 16, 2012.




Encaustics
Four of my 3D encaustic and fiber sculptures have been accepted into the show Encaustics at the Kavanagh Gallery, Fine Line Creative Arts Center in St. Charles, Illinois. The show will run from October 19 through November 17, 2012.



The Buzz
For the second time, I am pleased that my art is included in a featured program during Chicago Artists Month. This year I am happy to be a part of The Buzz, an exhibit featuring artworks using the encaustic medium. The show will be in Gallery 303 at the Zhou B. Art Center in Chicago and runs throughout October. http://www.chicagoartistsmonth.org/buzz-fusedchicago


Pattern in Painting
I am delighted to be included in this online juried show that showcases work that relies on pattern as a basis for communication. http://evansencaustics.blogspot.com/


You can also find my art at the Illinois Artisans Shop at the Illinois State Museum in the Thompson Center (100 W. Randolph) in Chicago.



Image Information: Top image: Living Together-But-Separate-Lives, (5"x8"x9", encaustic, cheescloth, wire, twine) Second Image: The Mane (7”x12”x8”, encaustic, hand-dyed cheesecloth, wire), Vessel 27 (11”x9.5”x6”, encaustic, cheesecloth), The Pillow (on wall) (9’x9”x4”, encaustic, hand-dyed cheesecloth, wire), Vessel 30 (3.5”x14”x14”, encaustic, cheesecloth, wire), Vessel 29 (8”x10”x10”, encaustic, cheesecloth) Third Image: Considering Mies (16"x16"x5", encaustic, cheecloth, wire) Bottom Image: Tendency of Thought (18"x18", encaustic, cheesecloth)

Comments