Skip to main content

Winter Exhibition News


Place (detail)
 
I’m sending two of my newest sculptures to Florida this month.  I am especially pleased that both were accepted as it was the first time I had submitted either for an exhibition.  Place is the largest work I have created to date, measuring 6’7”, twice that if it is laid out from end to end.  I plan to pursue Place as a series that will be hung as a multi-piece installation.

Place 
6’7”hx8”wx4.5”d 

 encaustic, cheesecloth, cotton cord, foam  

Passages has been a work in progress.  I made the base last year and it sat off to the side in my studio waiting for inspiration.  Over time this base changed shape until I came upon the decidedly boat-like form it is today.  It then returned again to that “place of contemplation” off to the side in my studio until one day I spied the roll of copper wire I had in a container of wire and cords.  I really like the combination of metal with wax and fiber.  The small sections of copper wire impale the smooth waxed surface of the form bringing a menacing sense to this simple, still and serene form.  This certainly might be my love-hate relationship with water coming out.  Nothing would make me happier than to sit on the porch of a beach house looking and listening to the ocean all day but you would be hard pressed to get me in that same water.
Passages (detail)
Place and Passages are both included in "Big Bad Wax" at the Mount Dora Center for the Arts in Mount Dora, Florida.  This national juried encaustic exhibition was juried by Kim Bernard and Susan Loden.  This exhibition runs January 10 – March 2, 2014.  The opening reception is January 10, 2014, 6-8pm.
http://mountdoracenterforthearts.org/ 
 

       Passages
2”hx18”wx5”d     
encaustic, cheesecloth, copper wire

As many of you know, I am a member of FUSEDChicago, a group of Chicago area artists using the encaustic medium.   One of our missions is to advance public awareness of encaustic art through exhibitions of member work.   This is a group of extremely talented artists and so the many group exhibitions that have been held have been truly excellent events. 

http://www.fusedchicago.org/
 
               Make No Little Plans    
9”x9” cube
encaustic, cheesecloth on wood panels  

 
I am happy that Make No Little Plans is included in the next FUSEDChicago group exhibition, “Fused” held at the Union Street Gallery in Chicago Heights, Illinois.  The show is curated by  Jessica Segal and will run from January 15 – February 8, 2014.  The opening reception is January 17, 2014.
 
http://www.unionstreetgallery.org/exhibits.htm


Holiday wishes to everyone and many thanks for your support!



 

Comments